Monday, January 27, 2014

A Cold Cold January

ALEXANDRIA, VIRGINIA

I'm not sure what the final numbers will show but this was probably the coldest January in 20 years. It was not a good month for riding.




In the middle of the month it warmed to about 40 degrees (5 C). I went "exploring" in Alexandria. The new Woodrow Wilson Bridge has a bike/pedestrian lane which connects Alexandria to National Harbor in Prince George's County, Maryland. The bridge is the only one in the country the goes through three jurisdictions. Starting in Virginia, it cuts through the District of Columbia for about 100 meters and 95% of the structure is in Maryland.


Woodrow Wilson Bridge
Maryland side
It wasn't an epic ride, but still, sort of fun. On the Maryland side is a crushed gravel/shell path for about 400 meters or so. It's very ridable. At the National Harbor is the sculpture the Awakening.

The Awakening
National Harbor



There's always something majestic about being on a large bridge crossing over the Potomac River.



W&OD at Gallows Road
Fake Snowflakes

The rest of the month was, well, cold. Today was to be the "warm" day. It was 42 degrees when I left the house and went to the W&OD at Gallows Road. I was expecting a clear trail. Instead, it was snow covered.



So I went to Hains Point in D.C. and it was closed. I couldn't catch a break. I rode some lightly used roads around Hains Point then crossed the 14th Street Bridge. At first, the Mount Vernon Trail looked clear but as I rode I encountered patches of snow and ice. It was scary on a road bike. I turned around just south of Reagan National Airport. So I just rode. The streets in D.C. were clear.


Ice on the Potomac River


Hard to think in 6-7 weeks spring will be here and this lost month will simply be in the past. Can't wait. 2014 is going to be great!



No comments:

Post a Comment