Sunday, June 27, 2010

Onward to Charles Town

CHARLES TOWN, WV

The last time I rode this route was Father's Day one year ago. Today's ride was uneventful. I stopped a lot to take pictures. That killed any average speed I had going.


It was hot. It hit 99 or 100 in D.C.



Cyclist on Pr. Wm. Parkway Bike Path




On the bike path near Manassas there was a couple walking two large retrievers -- one a black Lab and the other a Golden. If they had been paying attention they would have seen me coming and made sure I could get by safely at speed. Instead I had to slow to almost a stop. I was nice, thanked them, and then regretted that I didn't dismount and take a picture. I know, they killed my momentum so I should at least take a picture.



 My route took me on Sudley Road through Manassas and past the Manassas Battlefield.  

Manassas Battlefield Park

The dirt portion of Braddock Road in Loudoun County was worse than I remembered. I am thinking that they recently put down more gravel. There was no place to find a track in which to ride. I was "greeted" by two large dogs. Maybe it was too hot for them to give serious chase. I talked to them while maintaining my slow speed and they never became aggressive.

 Braddock Road, Loudoun Co., Va.


As I rode along I was going slower and slower and felt my rear tire become sluggish. I pulled over to change a flat and then was delighted to see that I didn't have a flat -- it really was that crappy to ride in.


Snapping Turtle on Braddock Road

Once I reached the far end of Braddock Road I flew passed a huge turtle in the middle of the road. I turned around, at first wanting to move it to safety. But I soon decided it could protect itself better than I could.


Country Store in Airmont - A Cyclist's Oasis


My only stop was at Airmont for a bottle of PowerAde, bottle of water, and a Milky Way candy bar (they were out of Snickers).


Barn on Rte 9

The climb over the Blue Ridge on Rte 9 was uneventful. However, my wife and son passed me, while I was hugging the shoulder, and NEVER SAW ME!!!! I will die on the road some day by motorists who somehow manage to pass cyclists without seeing them.

Jefferson Co., WV

Comparing my stats to last year the biggest difference is in heart rate. Last year I averaged 132 bpm and hit 160+ on a couple of the climbs. Yesterday I averaged 122 bpm and went to 150. I want to believe that I am more fit than last year and I should be. Last year I was battling an e.Coli infection for weeks which led to the diagnosis of cancer. Well, at least that's gone.

Shenandoah River




Garmin Map and Stats

1 comment:

  1. "The climb over the Blue Ridge on Rte 9 was uneventful. However, my wife and son passed me, hugging the shoulder, and NEVER SAW ME!!!! I will die on the road some day by motorists who somehow manage to pass cyclists without seeing them."

    Barry: Guido suggested to me that you should check your insurance policies to see if they doubled your coverage.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete