Thursday, September 20, 2007

Cousin Floyd

WOODBRIDGE, VA


This does not make sense. The arbitration decision in the Floyd Landis case just was released with a 2-1 decision against Floyd. The panel ruled that the French lab did not follow World Antidoping Guidlines in testing Floyd's samples. They further ruled that "if the practice is continued that future results would be overturned."


Huh? So future results by the same lab using the same flawed procedures would be overturned but these ones would be accepted?


To the uninitiated, after bonking on Stage 16 in the Tour de Farce, Floyd rode away to a victory the next day. While he was hailed as having ridden one of the great races ever, the truth was he rode well -- but not like Superman. The teams that should have organized early and chased failed to do so which allowed him to open a nine minute lead on them.


Floyd knew if he won the stage he would be tested. It would be foolish to cheat. Floyd stood up like a man and at every opportunity maintained his innocence, all the way to the Court for Arbitration for Sport. They were especially annoyed that he had the balls to fight the charges and not only found against him on June 30, 2008, but also fined him $100,000. How dare someone question their authority.





I met Floyd in January, 2007. He came away as believable to me. For full disclosure I have to mention that I am a genealogist. I trace some of my ancestry to a Landis family in Lancaster Co., Pa. in the 1700s. Floyd, of course, is from a Mennonite family named Landis in Lancaster Co., Pa. However, I have traced some of Floyd's lineage and have yet to make a connection. Cousin or not, I believe him.


A real analysis of the data is at Trust But Verify. Another good blog is Free Floyd Landis.



AUGUST 17, 2010 -- Well, aren't we all the fools? In May at the Amgen Tour of California, Floyd, after being denied entry into the Tour, followed through with his blackmail threat and claimed that he and Lance Armstrong were dopers.

In January, 2007, Floyd made his rounds proclaiming his innocence and asking for money from people like me. And I gave. Twenty five to attend his stupid Evening with Floyd event. Then $50 and $25. And I bought his book. And it was all a lie.

Floyd - I want my money back.





February 29, 2012 -- It continues. And it's going to continue.

I don't want my money back. Floyd lost his best friend, his wife (who may have been his best friend), his family, his house, his money, his integrity. He can keep my money.

I have my own theory. I believe Floyd was innocent of using artificial testosterone. I suspect when he heard he was caught he thought "oh crap" but when he realized it was artificial testosterone, he fought that. In the end, they wore him down and he eventually confessed to being a doper - at least using blood transfusions.


I think he speaks the truth about doping in the peleton but he lost his credibility by not confessing when he had a chance and down is discredited at every chance.


And we have found no genealogical link between us. Floyd is not my cousin.

No comments:

Post a Comment